Mayor Emanuel has a vision:
“I want Chicago to be the most bike-friendly city in the United States.”
And CDOT has a plan:
- Place bicycle rack/hub within half-mile of every Chicagoan;
- Construct more bikeways where more people live and commute;
- Build infrastructure to match need and stimulate growth.
Read more: The Challenge – Chicago’s Car-Free Bicycle Highway
- Separation from motor-vehicles.
- Important commuting arteries that give cyclists direct access to business districts and avoid traffic and street crossings.
- Separate from motor traffic for all or most of its length.
- Often run alongside a body of water and parkland; 9 of 12 abut a river or canal...
Read more: Great Bike Paths Elevate a City
- RiverRide is composed of steel-reinforced concrete pontoon segments developed by Marinetek, a global leader in floating structures (marina, breakwater and floating roads).
- Design is inspired by Chicago’s classic bridge architecture, nautical design cues and understated elegance.
Read more: Overview