The Challenge – Chicago’s Car-Free Bicycle Highway
Mayor Emanuel has a vision:
“I want Chicago to be the most bike-friendly city in the United States.”
And CDOT has a plan:
- Place bicycle rack/hub within half-mile of every Chicagoan;
- Construct more bikeways where more people live and commute;
- Build infrastructure to match need and stimulate growth.
But there are real problems:
- 93% of citizens will not ride a bicycle on roads with cars – CDOT 2020 report
- 2014: cyclist fatalities up 130%; 1,500 auto-related cyclist injuries – CDOT
- Most protected bike lanes are not high-volume or high-relevance routes.
- 55% of crashes occur at intersections. “Lanes for cyclists and signage for special routes offer the illusion of safety.” – New York Times